Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The first canoe

The first canoe that I built was for a friend.  He purchased the materials for 2 canoes, and I did the building.  This way I would get a canoe of my own by doing the labor for both.  It took me about 2 months to complete the first canoe.  I worked mainly at night when I got home from work.  My friend couldn't decide on a theme or logo for the canoe, so I sent it home with him so he could think about it and use it while I started on mine.  It was approaching winter quickly, so I was unable to finish my canoe last year.  Now that it has warmed up a little, I have finally started back to work on my canoe.  Here are a series of pictures to show the progress of the first canoe:

Cut out the yokes and main sections for both canoes.

Glued the sections together.

Applied epoxy to the inside surface of the canoe.

Taped ends and installed center spreaders.

Taped the bottom to the sides.

Applied fillet and fiberglass to inside seams.

Attached exterior gunwales.

Filleted and fiberglassed exterior seams.  Also added the keel and filleted it.

Fiberglassed entire bottom and up sides a little.

Epoxy coated exterior.

Graphite / Epoxy coated bottom.

Gluing inwales.

Attached seats and yoke.

It floats!!!

Testing it out

Made rope handles and hole through canoe with 1/2" C-PVC pipe on inside.

Installed a dry box.

Gluing front deck.

Fully assembled.  Did a final sanding and finishing but don't have any pictures of that.  Maybe I'll get some pictures when I put some decals on it (if my friend ever decides what he wants).

I would like to add that we got most of our materials from Duckworks Boat Builders Supply and they were also very helpful with the questions that I had.  I also was able to find out a lot about boat building and techniques from the Woodwork Forums.  Michael Storer was the designer of the Quick Canoe and it was a great first time boat building project.

No comments:

Post a Comment