Thursday, April 14, 2011

Canoe #2 Update

I tested out my Canoe Loader yesterday.  It works good.  Makes it easy for one person to load and unload a canoe from the top of a vehicle.  You just put one end of the canoe on the loader, and then walk the other end around and place on the top of the vehicle.  I am using a pool noodle for cushion / protection for the top of my truck.

Put one end on the loader (sorry for the glare)

Carry the other end around and place on top

I was able to put the rope handle on as well.  I have a hole in the canoe with a piece of 1/2" C-PVC pipe going through it.  Then I used some fillet (epoxy with wood flour) to seal up the ends around the wood.  This way if water gets in the hole it will just be in the pipe and run out the other side.  It will not go into the boat.  This was important because there is also one in the back where the dry box is.  For the handle I just used a piece of rope and made two double fisherman's knots.  Wrapped it around about 5 times to make it wide enough for a comfortable handle.

Rope handle

I also was able to apply the graphite coating to the bottom of the canoe.  I only put one coat on it last night, it was like 10:00 PM when I started with the graphite.

Graphite coating

Graphite coating, removed the masking tape

No comments:

Post a Comment